Food supplements for eye health are a direct way of providing the body with the necessary nutrients to take care of visual health. Despite the fact that its importance is a matter that has always been studied scientifically, there is still a significant lack of knowledge on the part of the general society.
We are now going to see which are the food supplements that best contribute to the protection and care of visual well-being.
En este post podrás leer:
- Food Supplements for Eye Health: Wwhjohat Are the Most Relevant Components to Improve Visual Well-Being
- Other Important Natural Substances in Food Supplements for Eye Health
Food Supplements for Eye Health: Wwhjohat Are the Most Relevant Components to Improve Visual Well-Being
Vitamins, Among the Best Food Supplements for Eye Health
There are several key vitamins in order to take care of eyesight : vitamin A, beta-carotenes and antioxidant vitamins, such as C and E.
- Vitamin A helps reduce the risk of eye infections by creating a protective barrier on the surface of the eye. Thanks to its effectiveness, it stops the infection of viruses and bacteria.
- It helps protect the cornea, essential for maintaining good vision.
- According to the WHO (World Health Organization), vitamin A deficiency causes between 250,000 and 500,000 people to go blind each year.
- In combination with other antioxidant vitamins, such as E and C, provitamin A contributes to reducing the risk of vision loss due to macular degeneration.
- But this vitamin is fat-soluble, so, before taking it, you should ask your doctor, so that he can adjust the doses and the time you need to take it, since its excess is not eliminated through the urine and can accumulate in the body, which is not convenient.
And what about beta-carotene? It is one of several carotenoids that form provitamin A, one of the most effective and efficient ones.
Through only food, it is difficult to provide the body with the doses of these vitamins it needs to keep itself healthy. The solution? Taking food supplements for eye health in doses indicated by your doctor, as we have mentioned.
Lutein: Food Supplements for Eyesight
It is very likely that you have already heard about the importance of lutein for vision. It is a substance that is receiving a lot of attention due to its good properties when talking about eye health.
Lutein is a pigment that is naturally present in some algae and plants. In food supplements for eye health, it is included in the appropriate amount, so it favours eye health properly.
But why is lutein so important for the eyes?
- It is one of the two main carotenoids found in the macula and in the retina.
- It actively contributes to the prevention of cataracts and macular degeneration.
- Helps prevent various eye diseases.
Zeaxanthin in food supplements for visual well-being
Have you heard of zeaxanthin? It is one of the most important natural substances in food supplements for eye health. It is similar to lutein and, alongside it, they multiply the beneficial effect that they both bring about separately.
In addition, it acts as an antioxidant that neutralizes free radicals induced by light. This way, it prevents them from destroying the sensitive cells of the organs of vision.
Another one of its effects is to help diminish inflammatory processes that affect the eye membrane and prevent ageing.
The inclusion of zeaxanthin in food supplements to take care of vision is key, not only for its properties and benefits, but also because our body lacks genetic programming to synthesise this substance. This means that our eyes need a constant exogenous supply that can be provided by these supplements.
Other Important Natural Substances in Food Supplements for Eye Health
In smaller amounts, there are other natural substances that are very beneficial for the eyes. They should be included among our list of food supplements for eyesight.
- It helps to properly hydrate the eye and helps prevent the damage caused by dry eyes.
- Routine. It is a flavonoid that acts as an antioxidant. Furthermore, it has properties that help protect against UV rays, which can damage certain parts of the eye.
- Selenium and zinc. They protect the eye from free radicals and help delay macular ageing.
- Vitis vinifera. It is a powerful antioxidant with a high concentration of beta-carotenes and vitamin C, which, as we have already seen, are very beneficial for the eyes.
Don’t hesitate to take care of yourself with food supplements for eye health that contain the main beneficial nutrients for eyesight. You can find the right one in the catalogue of food supplements at robis.es. Do you also want to be up-to-date at all times? Follow us on social media or subscribe to our newsletter to learn more about all the news and advice that we give you!